Emery County Democratic Convention
The Emery County Democratic party recently held their county convention. Gary Petty is the party chairman and he welcomed everyone. The main business item was the election of delegates to attend the state convention. Those delegates elected include: Kim Player, Rod Player, FloAnn Wilson, Bevan Wilson, Gary Petty, Kristine Story, Dwayne Story, Stanley Willson, Juanita Willson and Boyd Nielson. Petty said the state democratic party chairman Jim Dubakis has resigned and a new party chairman will be elected at the state convention. The state convention was held on April 26 at the City Creek Marriott in Salt Lake.
Petty expressed his concerns over Utah's low voter turnout. The state is now among the worst in the nation for voter turnout. Utah used to have 60-70 percent voter turnout but has now dropped to one of the lowest. Changes in voter registration allowing voters to register on the day of an election may help bring up the voter percentages.
Convention attendees discussed the party platform and if any changes needed to be made at this time. Pres. Obama's war on coal has hurt the democratic party and democratic candidates in Utah are struggling during this time of Pres. Obama's administration.
Kim Player, party secretary thanked the precinct chairmen for their work at the caucuses. Precinct chairman included: Gary Petty, Laurie Pitchforth, Paula Lucas, Gary Kofford, Carolyn Booker, LaMar Guymon, Boyd Nielson, Carl ElRoy Mortensen and Cheryl Keener.
EMERY COUNTY DEMOCRATIC PARTY PLATFORM
1. The Democrats of Emery County believe: the essence of the Democratic Party of Emery County, Utah and the Nation, is the belief that every citizen should have an equal opportunity for life, liberty, pursuit of happiness and quality education and health care; regardless of race, creed, color, sex or age. All citizens should have access to the basic necessities of life.
2. The Democrats of Emery County believe: the value of the American family can not be overstated. It is the responsibility of every citizen to support families and to help instill in our youth the basic values of honesty; responsibility; common courtesy; service and patriotism.
3. The Democrats of Emery County believe: working persons in the United States should have the right to a decent, life sustaining wage for their labors, as well as a safe and healthy workplace. They should be protected against unfair labor practices and unfair foreign competition. All people have a duty to support themselves and their families through honest labor.
4. The Democrats of Emery County believe: in the multiple use management of public lands which constitute over 90 percent of this county. Access to these lands is essential to our economy and lifestyle and is a large part of the heritage we have received from the settlers of this area. We oppose any destruction of the scenic treasures on these lands, but we also oppose any re-designation of these lands which would result in unreasonable limits on public access to them. We believe that public lands should remain open to the public to which they belong, whether for recreation, grazing, responsible timber harvest or the development of mineral rights; and we oppose the closing of existing roads or the withdrawal or preemption of existing grazing, water or mineral rights on these lands.
5. The Democrats of Emery County believe: that Senior Citizens, whose labor made our country a great and decent place to live, and Veterans, who risked their lives to protect our Republic, should continue to receive special consideration.
6. The Democrats of Emery County believe: our natural resources should be protected and utilized in every sensible and legitimate way possible.
7. The Democrats of Emery County believe: the acceleration of the crime rate may lead to anarchy and loss of freedom. Each citizen should be responsible to, and continually work to insure the effectiveness of our justice system and our educational system to reduce and to prevent crime. They should also be law abiding themselves. We must protect the right of the accused to reasonable due process, but also emphasize protection of the weak, the innocent, and the victims of crime. We support victims' rights, and believe that criminals should be required to compensate their victims for the injuries and damage which they commit.
8. The Democrats of Emery County believe: that public service is the highest calling for any citizen of the Republic. If government is to maintain the trust of the People, however, then excellence, responsiveness, and fiscal responsibility must be a requirement for all who serve the People, whether elected or appointed.
9. The Democrats of Emery County believe: candidates for election must always maintain a high degree of integrity emphasizing: true statements, honest motivations, and the understanding that our Party should always represent the best interests of our fellow citizens.