Behling pleads guilty to reckless endangerment
At the Seventh District court in Castle Dale on Oct. 16, Randy John Behling pled guilty in a plea deal arrangement with the Emery County Attorney's Office. Brent Langston is the deputy county attorney and he indicated that the terms of reckless endangerment could be met, but the manslaughter charge was problematic and would possibly not be bound over. Behling was originally charged with manslaughter.
The case stems from a shooting on July 28 in Behling's Ferron home which left 22 year old A'Lisa Weston dead. She had allegedly went to Behling's home after a fight with her boyfriend. She said she was suicidal. Behling then produced a 40 caliber pistol from his closet which he gave to the victim. From there the picture gets fuzzy as Behling alleges she pointed the gun at her head and then lowered the gun and the gun went off while pointed at her chest. He also told investigators that he chased her around the house trying to get the gun away and telling her not to shoot herself.
Behling called 911 and the 911 tape was released in August. On this tape was the call from a distraught Behling who told the Emery County dispatch, "Come here now, a girl just shot herself with my 40 caliber pistol." He then pleaded with the girl to breathe.
Tests indicated that both parties had been drinking. The autopsy revealed that Weston died of a self-inflicted gun shot wound.
Langston contends there is no evidence to support the victim's family's allegations that Behling pulled the trigger.
On Tuesday, Behling pled guilty in Seventh District Court to two counts of reckless endangerment, a class A misdemeanor, and the other charges were dismissed.
When Behling was released from jail in July after the incident it was with the condition he enter an in-house rehabilitation center. It was reported he completed this 60 day treatment program.
He is scheduled to be sentenced Jan. 15, 2013.
Melissa Weston is the victim's mother and she said she is disappointed in the legal system.