Gas leak forces evacuations
A gas leak on Feb. 5 forced the evacuation of four residences in Castle Dale along with the Big Mama's pizza and the Maverik. Emery County Sheriff Greg Funk said, "Residents reported they had been smelling gas in the area, but it always dissipated. But, a strong gas smell prompted a resident to call into Questar Gas. on Tuesday. Upon arrival at the scene, the Questar employee detected elevated readings in the area and began the evacuation. The evacuation lasted 12 hours. The gas was reported to have gone into the sewer system as well. Questar drilled in the area, to release any built up pockets of gas. The leak was in a coupling in the underground lines that run along the Main Street of Castle Dale. The gas was turned off and contained within the block. The residents are reported to be back in their homes and the gas company continues to work on making sure the line is repaired at this time."