United States Senate
Republican Robert F. Bennett
"The next six years will be pivotal, fraught with major decisions which will affect us for a generation. Growth in Utah is not slowing down, bringing challenges in transportation, education, housing, and land use. America's role in the world is being questioned at home and abroad.
Still, I look to the future with optimism. America can and must lead the world toward freedom. We will rise to face our challenges. I pledge to use my experience, leadership positions, and network of contacts in both parties to continue to deliver - as I first pledged 12 years ago -solid positive change."
Gary R. Van Horn, Constitution Party
In the U.S. Constitution, in the tradition of the Founding Fathers; The proper role of government is to protect our lives, liberty, and property; If elected, in honoring my oath of office to protect and defend the Constitution; America's military should protect American lives, liberty, and property; That "nation building," "peace keeping," and enforcing UN resolutions is not worth one drop of our soldiers' blood; terrorism cannot be fought with the aid of states that sponsor terrorism; those who work for a living ought to live better than those who won't; children belong to their parents, not to the government; and free men have firearms but slaves do not.
If elected, my top priorities would be:
1) Get the United States out of the United Nations Ã¯Â¿Â½ and the UN out of the US.
2) Get back the 70 percent of Utah land that the federal government holds in violation of both the U.S. Constitution and the Northwest Ordinance of 1787.
New states were supposed to enter the Union on the same basis as the existing states. Utah can administer these lands better than the bureaucrats in Washington, D.C.
3. Restrict the appellate jurisdiction of the Supreme Court in all cases involving marriage, prayer, abortion, and other areas in which they have usurped the sole legislative authority of Congress.
4) Repeal the 16th (Income Tax) Amendment, abolish the Internal Revenue Service, and sell off unconstitutional businesses and projects.
5) Use the revenue thus derived to set up a real trust fund (that the government couldn't spend on other things) for those dependent upon Social Security.