Print Page

Three Emery wrestlers place at state tournament

Clay Collard pins his man at the state tournament.

Sports writer

Delta High School won another state championship in wrestling at the recently concluded 3-A meet at Utah Valley University by defeating Wasatch 267-240 despite only having one overall champion. Cedar City High was third with 175.5 points. Delta took 23 wrestlers to the state meet.

Emery High took six wrestlers to the state meet and were quite happy that half of those, three, came home having finished third in their weight bracket.

Spencer Fehlberg at 119 pounds, Clay Collard at 152 pounds and Chet Funk at 160 pounds all went through the three-day meet by losing only once and finishing third.

Fehlberg opened against Vanwalkenberg, Bear River, and defeated him by a pin. Spencer then lost to Bryce Jackman of Carbon High, a returning state champion. Fehlberg then defeated Frost of Union, Ewart of Delta and Kunder of Bear River to finish third. Jackman won the championship.

Clay Collard defeated Wesley Mecham of Juan Diego to open the meet and then defeated Josh Thompson of Cedar City to make it to the semifinals. Zach Prince, a returning champion out of Hurricane then defeated Collard. This was probably the first time all season that Prince had gone the distance. Collard then defeated Thompson of Delta and Taylor O'Hearon of Carbon to finish third. Prince won the championship.

Chet Funk opened his meet by defeating Zack Furness of Bear River before losing to Randon Prochnow of Morgan. Funk then defeated Jose Patino of Morgan, Alex Johnson of Hurricane, Carson Ludlow of Cedar City and then defeated Morgan's Prochnow to finish third.

Nathan Mecham at 171 pounds defeated Chad Hornberger of Bear River in his opening match. He then lost to Connor Jensen of Morgan before defeating Cole Gordon of Juan Diego. Nate then lost to Jordon Cowlee of Richfield to end his meet.

Also wrestling at the state meet were Cezly Collard at 112 pounds and Brett Sorensen also at 171 pounds. Both wrestlers lost their first two matches and were out of the tournament.

Print Page