|The Emery Church is the last remaining public building from the 19th century in the county.|
Contribute to the Restoration of the Old Emery Church The George S. and Dolores Dore Eccles Foundation has awarded Emery town a challenge grant of $ 30,000 if the community can raise the remaining funds for the restoration of the old Emery church by December 2005.
In order to raise these funds, the town has re-published 1,000 copies of the 1980 book of the History of Emery Town and is selling the book for $30.
If all of the books are sold, there will be an additional $20,000 for the church restoration. Over 300 books were sold over the July 24th week-end celebrations.
Books can be purchased from Emery Town Hall or at the display booths at the Emery County Fair.
Donations for the church restoration can be made to the Emery Town Hall or the Emery County Community Foundation. If the donation is made through the Community Foundation, you may qualify for a 50percent tax credit on your Utah state income tax as well as qualify for a charitable donation on your federal income taxes.
For more information about this tax credit, contact Linda Jewkes or Bonnie Swenson. The old Emery Church is the last remaining 19th century public building in Emery County.
Construction of the Church began in 1898 shortly after the tunnel through the Manco shale hills was dug and the canal was completed to bring water from the Muddy Creek to irrigate the fields around the present site of Emery Town.
The Church was completed in 1900 at a cost of $8,000 but it was not dedicated until 1902 when all of the debts on the Church had been paid.
The Church building was made from lumber from the local forests and the walls are filled with several thicknesses of adobe brick. The outside was covered with New England style shiplap lumber siding, painted a cream color with brown siding. In 1902 when the church was dedicated it had a huge cast iron pot-bellied stove in the center of the building. It furnished plenty of heat as well as kept hot chocolate warm for dinners and parties. Many people will remember attending Friday night movies at the church.
In 1980, the Church was put on the National Register of Historic Places because of its unique character and place in the history of Emery County.
The town of Emery owns the church and has been working to restore it.
A grant from the Utah State Division of History was used to stabilize one of the corners of the church but now the community is looking to raise funds to restore the whole church.
Emery Town will be applying for grants from the Utah State Division of History, from the Forest Service Rural Community Assistance program as well as other agencies and organizations.
When the Church is restored, it will be used as a community center, a visitors information center, and a pioneer museum that will include an exhibit of early farming implements and machinery to interpret the early settlement activities in Emery County.